Nine PBS is looking for a self-motivated, creative intern with excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills to assist with Nine PBS’s initiatives around early learning. The internship’s work aims to actively care for the most vulnerable children of our region through quality educational programs and partnerships.
This internship reports to and works under the supervision of the Academic Instructional Coach to assist with early learning activities.
- Facilitate early learning activities with a variety of family, youth, and early childhood groups
- Contribute to the advancement of early earning events and initiatives, including PBS Edcamp, Ready to Learn, Storytime in the Commons, Kids & Coffee, and others
- Support relevant innovations that utilize public media to address social-emotional development, trauma-informed approaches, systemic educational challenges, two-generation approaches to economic mobility, and racial equity
- Must be willing to help organize and assist with early learning resources, community engagement activities, partner meetings, etc.
- Strong written, verbal communication skills including presentation skills
- Experience with working and communicating with children ages birth through 8 years old
- Must have excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize
- Must be self-motivated
- Ability to work with minimal supervision to meet deadlines
- Must be dependable and team-oriented
- Must have or be willing to develop the cultural competence to serve diverse families
- Must be willing and able to represent the Nine PBS at public events
- Currently enrolled in or recently graduated an accredited college or university
- Relevant Coursework: Communication, Media Literacy, Educational Studies, Early Education, Elementary Education, Early Childhood Development, Library Science, Social Work, Public Health, Social Justice, International Studies or Special Education
- Must be knowledgeable with Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and educational approaches.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Individual must be able to:
- Comfortable with indoor and outdoor family experiences at a range of MO/IL locations
- Must have knowledge of or comfort with English as a Second Language families and settings
- Must have evening and weekend availability with an average of two (2) Saturdays each month
Organization: Nine PBS
Position Type: Internship
Compensation: $15 per hour with the opportunity to also receive college credit, if applicable
Location: St. Louis, MO, US
Application Process: For a candidate to be considered for the internship, complete the Internship Form and email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an essential community institution, Nine PBS exists to enable access to information, knowledge, and learning opportunities for all. We tell stories that move us. We meet people where they are the most comfortable consuming content. Nine PBS’s platforms include four distinct broadcast channels (Nine PBS, Nine PBS KIDS®, Nine PBS World, and Nine PBS Create), ninepbs.org, social media, the free PBS Video App, streaming services, live and virtual events, and the Public Media Commons. Since 1954, Nine PBS has accepted the community’s invitation into their homes, schools, and businesses.
Nine PBS is committed to the health and safety of all the individuals we serve. A key component of this commitment is to perform a background check on any staff/intern who will come into contact with children and youth. We will obtain a report that contains a criminal record and sex offender registry search from HireRight.com. Your consent and satisfactory report are a mandatory requirement of your employment with Nine PBS.
Nine PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer with leadership and a culture that supports diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. In 2021, Nine PBS was identified by the Women’s Foundation of Greater St. Louis as a top place for women to work.